Jim's eldest daughter wasn't feeling well so I offered her up my hot water bottle. When I got it out of the drawer I smiled as it's in an old nightdress case I had when I was a kid. Growing up in the seventies, there wasn't such luxurious things as hot water bottles with fluffy covers, you really just had a blue hot water bottle that you covered in a towel to stop yourself from burning if you happened to put water that was too hot in there. So my mum used an nightie case I had as a gift and placed the hot water bottle in it as it was a perfect size. Here it is, well worn and loved.

When I left home it came with me (I have no idea why but I'm glad it did!)
My Dad's cousin Jackie made this for me with a matching nightdress and I think I must've been 6 when I had it. Except mum thought it was a dress and sent me to a talent contest wearing it. Here I am wearing it at The Savoy Holiday Camp in the Isle of Wight! Gotta love the 70's. After Jackie saw the photo she told mum it was a nightdress so I was saved further embarrassment!
I am sure I inherited alot of my artistic ability but I also watched lots too. Jackie and her cousins Pamela and Jan were always making things and I remember them coming over on a Sunday for the family roast dinner, then knitting or crocheting afterwards. So inspiring. I really looked up to Jackie and spent lots of time with her and was a bridesmaid at her wedding - I can't believe I am doing this but here's a picture of me as a bridesmaid at her wedding back in 1984 when I was a mere 13 (I'm on the right). Don't you just love the pink taffeta and the flick (you can tell I was a Wham fan as that hairdo is very George Michael-ish!!) Such an 80's picture and come to think of it, this dress was made by Pamela's mum.
Anyway, through life you meet lots of inspirational people and sometimes you get to hold on to things they have made with love. Even though I know there are fluffy covered hot water bottle covers out there, no one has this little creature and that's why I love handmade stuff. Just so unique.
4 comments:
Aw ~ so sweet ~ love the hot water bottle cover ~ Great photos and wonderful sharing ~ namaste, Carol ^_^
It is lovely to reminicse especially when you have useful things to bring out and can say how they originated...so much fun:)
Those were the days!
xx
That's gorgeous! And that nightie? Totally would have passed as a dress in the 70s. I'm sure I did have dresses just like that.
My dad recently gave me a box of Christmas tree decorations. Among them was a beautiful green one that I remembered well from my childhood. He told me it had originally belonged to my grandparents - so the ornament is on its third generation of Christmas trees! How precious is that?
Thanks ladies - it sure is lovely to remember the past. And yup, those were the days :)
Anne-Marie, how lovely to have something from three generations ago - it makes it a real treasured possession. (ps, I also sent you an email the other day, not sure if you received it!)
Post a Comment