Tuesday, 9 August 2011

What is this world coming to?

I had an early night last night and I woke up this morning to see footage and pictures of London in flames.

I am disgusted and saddened by everything that is happening in my home town. Where I was born and raised to treat people with love and respect. Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

And in the news I see pictures of thugs not brave enough to show their faces but brave enough to throw firebombs, bricks and other items to harm their neighbours and police.

I have never expressed my political views on here but today I feel the urge. In the days of Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher they both had wars and strikes and financial crisis's to deal with, but they also had strength, courage and did not give in to pressures. They stood tall and proud. I feel our government could learn a lot from them both.

I hope everyone who is in an area that is affected is safe and lets pray that these riots end as quickly as they have started.

4 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

London is my home-town, too, and I agree with you, that it is saddening and sickening to see these people out to destroy and so little being done against it. I know they are whining that they are all so unfairly treated, but that it no excuse. I grew up after the war in the middle of bomb sites and with many hardships, but we never, ever did things like that! Valerie

Helen said...

Maybe if they too grew after the war they would not be like this. They have no regard for people or society. In a world where people want it all and indeed try and have it all, morals and the right thing to do is destroyed. I agree with you Valerie, little is being done as we are too afraid of being sued. We need a leader with guts and a country that does not cut policing but instead embraces it.

Unknown said...

Hi Helen, I grew up in Croydon, all my childhood memories are there... when I saw the footage this morning I just wanted to cry.... it's so sad. A few thugs make the world a chaotic place...I found myself thinking that putting them on chain gangs and making them clean up the mess and facing the people of the town would shame them... but most of them will get away Scotfree....because poor dears they've had a hard life.... boohoo.. I agree with you and countless other law abiding people..the government needs to get tough...parents need to get control of their children... be safe...

Helen said...

I agree Catherine. I grew up in the borough of Sutton (Cheam) so not far from Croydon. Seeing the news, hearing the rioters' joy at what they have done, stealing from a young boy who is injured is just disgusting. I don't know what will make them realise what they are doing is wrong. Targeting hard working people which they call the rich, is a joke. They can have nice things if they work hard, but that is beyond them. Such a sad state of affairs!