Tuesday, 25 January 2011

A bit stuck

Well I'm a bit stuck. I randomly started this layered watercolour painting of flowers with a bird, and I wasn't sure where I was heading with it. Just really wanted to see the transparent layers of the flowers over each other, so I pretty much let the painting just flow. And now I am not sure what to do.I feel like it needs to 'pop' a bit more, but then again, it's nice to have soft gentle colours. So I'm debating whether to outline it......it certainly needs something!
So any ideas are well and truly welcome.

Hope you all are having a great day.....I'm glad you enjoyed the Kelly Berkey interview, she really is just the sweetest person.

Helen xx

5 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

Suggestions from a non-painter:

1) Cover up the four flowers on the bottom and the red leaves on the bottom half of the image so you can safely paint around them. Then, indulge in color. As for the bird, I have mixed feelings and simply prefer leaving that up to your own creative judgement as the original artist.

2) If there's anything in my first idea you don't like ... that can serve as a good clue to you for the starting point or premise that you prefer and from which you can create what YOU like. As in, take what I've said and put your own spin on it, use it to your own advantage through your artistic perspective and vision.

CountryDreaming said...

P.S. When I said "cover up" .. I did not mean with paint ... I meant with cardboard or poster board or something, so that your original four flowers and red leaves can once again be brought forth into the light of day to shine with all their splendor after you've painted what isn't them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, Country Dreaming....I really appreciate it.

It's great to get someone else's perspective on work that you are struggling with, so thank you x

Jenn Bower said...

I always add touches of black to everything I do. To me it functions like the little black dress every woman should have in her wardrobe. Heehee. But that is just me.

All the hues are the same saturation which may be what is making it feel stuck. Give it a punch someplace and see if that doesn't get things rolling.


I like the watercolor work. It is so clean.

Unknown said...

Hi, your right it needs something to give it some punch.. unfortunately the only thing that came to mind was yellow...I'm not sure that's a good idea...sorry, I'm no help...but I do like what you've done...