Wednesday, 29 June 2011

An update

Thank you for your kind comments yesterday about my hand.

I’ve not mentioned it before now, mainly as I could only type one handed with my left hand (and I am right handed)........and well the hand was a bit sore.

I had a trigger finger on my right hand, which meant it wouldn’t bend properly and then it would sometimes lock in the closed position. So the surgeon had to cut the tendon and perform some magic. As you can see from the pictures, the bandage has become smaller and the stitches are due to come out this Friday. I hope then that I won’t have to be bandaged up anymore, although I don’t think that will somehow be the case.

I am a bit fed up with it now to be honest, but I remind myself that I am grateful to have a hand at all, as some people are not as lucky.

Day of the op. Excuse the miserable dodgy iPhone shot!

First bandage

Second bandage

Although I don’t mind getting out of the washing up, I am feeling frustrated at not being able to paint. I miss it so much. More than I ever thought I could. I had just got into a groove of painting every week and now it’s all on hold. I know it won’t be forever and the operation was needed, but it just makes it hard. I did try some left handed painting but it wasn’t happening.

I am getting more movement in my hand as I can now type using bandaged fingers which I certainly couldn’t do before now, so I may try some sketching. Holding a knife is hard and writing is difficult, but hey, this may well give me the abstract element I am looking to achieve.

Before the operation I was more nervous about everything going wrong and never being able to use my right hand again – drastic I know – but being an artist, that was a big fear for me. So I am hoping that I will have a hand back in action again soon.

In the meantime, I will enjoy reading other blogs, researching painting ideas and being grateful.

No comments: